Short Term Rentals / Vacation Rentals
Short Term Rental (STR) / Vacation Rental Permit Update – August 2021
**NOTICE** ALL NON-COSTAL ZONE PERMITS HAVE BEEN ISSUED. PLEASE SIGN UP FOR OUR WAIT-LIST TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN A STR PERMIT BECOMES AVAILABLE: https://forms.gle/BWrPwUptjpiCdtZB6
As of October 6, 2021, the table below contains a breakdown of short term rental (STR) / Vacation Rental permits that have been issued and permits that remain available for non-owner occupied homes. Permits are issued on a first come, first served basis. Existing permit holders cannot transfer permits to new owners. If you are an existing permit holder and selling your home, please contact the Planning Department to cancel your permit. Please click here to see a map showing properties within the coastal zone versus properties outside of the coastal zone.
|Non-Owner Occupied Short-Term Rental Permits:|
In Coastal Zone
In Non-Coastal Zone
Maximum Number of Permits:
Number of Permits Approved/Under Review:
Number of Permits Remaining:
|**PLEASE SEE LINK FOR WAITING LIST https://forms.gle/BWrPwUptjpiCdtZB6|
Owner Occupied Short-Term Rental Permits:
Number of Permits Approved:
Apply for A Short Term Rental (STR) / Vacation Rental Permit Online!
All applications must be submitted online via Host Compliance. Please check your spam mailbox to ensure you have not received an email from our inspector requesting an inspection or receipts from our third party vendor, host compliance. Please ensure either yourself, or your local contact is available for that inspection and all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers are installed, and in working order. If you have any additional questions, please contact us at (805) 473-4520 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save Time! Pay your Taxes Online!
Save Time! You can pay your Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and SLO County's Tourism Marketing District (TMD) Tax online via Host Compliance! Remember, you must submit a form either online or via US Mail / In-Person even if you have no stays for the month. All payments are due no later than the end of the month for the previous month’s stays.
Short-Term Rental Permit Application Process
Applications must be submitted online. Applications will not be accepted at City Hall or via U.S. Mail. The required submission information and the permit process will differ depending if you will be operating an "owner-occupied" or "non-owner occupied" short-term rental. Prior to submitting for a STR permit, please review our Administrative Rules.
General Requirements For A Permit
What is an "Owner-Occupied" versus "Non-Owner Occupied"?
The City’s ordinance makes a distinction between "owner-occupied" and "non-owned occupied STRs. If you are staying overnight with your guests, you are considered an "owner-occupied" STR. If you reside elsewhere during the stay, or the home is a 2nd home, you are considered a "non-owner occupied" STR.
General Requirements for both "Owner-Occupied" and "Non-Owner Occupied" STRs
The following information is required as part of the STR Permit application process:
- Applicant (Property Owner or Property Manager) information (name, mailing address, email address, and phone number)
- If the property has been purchased within one year of application date, a current title report will be required.
- Site address, including unit number/letter, if applicable. No P.O. Boxes will be accepted.
- Site Plan, including locations of on-site parking spaces, electrical panel, water shut-off valve, and gas shut-off valve.
- If the site has more than one unit, indicate the location of the STR unit. Please click here for a sample site plan.
- Floor Plan, including the uses of each room (i.e., living room, bedroom, bathroom, etc.). Please click here for a floor plan example.
- Number of bedrooms to be rented.
- Copy of Conditions, Covenants, and Restrictions (CC&Rs), if applicable.
- A checking account or credit card to pay permit fees and remit Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT).
- A good neighbor brochure should be linked to your rental listing. Link the Good Neighbor Brochure to your listing (PDF).
Additional Specific Requirements for "Owner-Occupied" STR’s
- Proof of residency (SLO County Tax Assessor bill indicating Homeowner’s Exemption). To obtain a copy click on this link.
- Self-certification of Inspection Checklist (PDF)
Additional Specific Requirements for "Non-Owner Occupied" STR’s
- If the Applicant is the Property Manager, the Authorized Agent Form (PDF) must be submitted.
- Local Contract Information (name, mailing address, email address, and phone number).
- After submitting the application materials, City staff will contact you to schedule an inspection of the proposed STR unit.
- It is encouraged that the Inspection checklist be reviewed and any deficiencies be addressed prior to scheduling the inspection. View the inspection checklist (PDF).
Please visit our YouTube channel
View tutorials on how to complete a short-term rental application.
Navigate Quickly & Easily
City Help Center